Monday 25 June 2012

Hello India! Part 2: Mysore and Hampi

I arrived in Mysore, in the Indian region of Karnataka, on a rainy Sunday evening, spending the night at Mysore Youth Hostel where I met Elo, a fellow traveller from Estonia. We shared a rickshaw into town the following day and breakfasted on marsala dhosas before going our separate ways. Whilst I managed, despite the rain, to visit the undisputed highlight of Mysore, the Maharaja's Palace (see picture), I did not manage to climb the viewing point, Charmundi Hill. The late afternoon was spent wandering the backstreets, the Muslim Quarter and the bazaars of Mysore, one of the most famous being the Devaraja Market. From Mysore, it was an overnight bus (again) to Hampi. 
I couldn't quite have prepared myself for what awaited me in Hampi. The bus dropped me off in nearby Hospet, and from there it was a thirty minute bus ride to my destination. Hampi is simply stunning. The tiny bus station by a small market must be one of the most picturesque the world over. The landscape is both alluring and magical.Huge copper coloured boulders dot the landscape, shaped by thousands of years of volcanic activity. Hampi is a gem of southern India, a World Heritage Site and major destination on the backpacker trail. And there are temples a plenty.scattered over a wide area of what was once the Hindu capital of India, Vijayanagar. It evokes memories of a bygone era - of opulent palaces, beautiful temples, monolithic monuments, aqueducts, baths and markets.
I arrived early and ate a local breakfast of curry and idly sitting on a stool and taking in the wonderful views. One I had found my accommodation, I did a bit of exploring in the immediate vicinity and ended up at the Virupashka Temple with its huge 50m Gopuram which dominates any view of Hampi. 
One of the great things about Hampi was that there are other travellers to meet- even now in the 'low' season. Within a couple of hours I had met fellow travellers and was eating lunch at the riverside restaurant the Mango Tree (where I was to eat at least once a day over the forthcoming week). Following this, I crossed the river to climb the steps of the Hanuman (Monkey God) Temple which afforded amazing views of the surrounding boulder-strewn landscape.

Cycling in Hampi - a great way of exploring the area

Outside the Maharaja's Palace in Mysore
The beautiful colours of  one of Mysore's bazaars, the Devaraja Market.




Bouldering in Hampi with the boys 
and posing for pics..

The Lakshmi Narasmiha Temple - a monolithic incarnation of Lord Vishnu  in his man-lion form
The amazingly well preserved bass reliefs of the Hazararama Temple depicting scenes from the Hindu epic, the Ramayana
Outside the beautiful Lotus Mahal
My favourite, the Elephant Stables, with eleven large-domed stables  which once housed the magnificent state elephants
A magnificent stone chariot in the courtyard of the Vitala Temple
The focal point of Hampi Bazaar, the Virupaksha Temple
The copper coloured boulders of Hampi
Over the preceding days - I like many others 'lingered' in Hampi- I made trips to swim in lakes, clamber over boulders and cycle to the main sites. I've included pictures here of some of the highlights : the Lakshmi Narashima Temple, the Hazararama Temple and my favourite, the Zanana Enclosure, which includes the Lotus Mahal (which derives its name from its beautifully and geometrically arranged cusped arches that resembe lotus petals opening to the sun) and Elephants' Stables. There is also the highlight of any visit, the Vitala Temple which is seen as Hampi's crowning glory.

I've had an unforgettable week in Hampi and it is down to the friends I have made here too. Thomas, Robert, Daniel, Tamlin, Charlie, Mark, Christelle and last but not least, Mr. Tom and Jerry himself, the ever friendly face of Ravi's Rose Guesthouse.

Next stop: Goa 

1 comment: